Why study Computer Science at our Faculty?
Quality and Value
Many of our graduates are spread in countries all over the world, working for important software companies (Adobe, Amazon, Continental, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Motorola, Siemens, and many more), or doing a PhD within universities and research institutes.
Our Faculty is the first faculty in Computer Science of a non-technical university in Romania.
We offer a good background for Computer Science as well as a wide range of exciting computing modules with up-to-date information technologies.
Elective modules offer students the possibility to specialize in their preferred direction.
Our faculty offers specialization in Computer Science, 3 year BSc studies. At the master level, currently there are available five MSc programs:
- Distributed Computing
- Computational Optimization
- Computational Linguistics
- Software Engineering
- Information Security
For all regular programs, theis divided into two semesters (16 weeks each).
To receive their graduation diploma in Computer Science,have to undergo a public examination and to submit their graduation thesis. BSc and MSc graduation sessions are scheduled in June of each year.
The Faculty is leaded by the FCS Council. The Faculty Board is formed by the dean, two vice-deans, the chancellor, and the department head.
The interest in Computer Science at the “Alexandru Ioan Cuza” University of Iasi dates back to 1958-1960, when Professor Adolf Haimovici initiated a series of conferences on “Applied Mathematics and Computer Science”. In 1960, Professor Adolf Haimovici taught the first course on “Elements of Computer Science”, while in 1961 Professor Costică Cazacu introduced in his course on “Complements of Mathematics”, elements of Programming Theory and Game Theory. In 1962, a course on “Computing Machines” was added to the curriculum of the Faculty of Mathematics. The first Romanian book in this field was Universal Computers and Programming Theory, published in 1968.
The Department of Computing Machines was founded in 1965, as part of the Faculty of Mathematics; its first class graduated in 1970. In 1971 it changed its name to Computer Science while in 1972 Professor Adolf Haimovici became the first head of the new department.
In 1990, the Department of Computer Science was split into two new departments: the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Applied Mathematics.
In 1991-1992 the former became the Faculty of Computer Science, with two sections: the Department of Computer Science (full time studies:
4 years) and the College of Information Technology (full time studies: 3 years).
Since 1995, a Master degree program in Distributed Computing is functioning. Later, three other Master degree programs are added: Computational Linguistics, Combinatorial Optimization, and Software Engineering. Since 2009, the Master studies on Information Security are available.
Now, the Faculty of Computer Science counts over 1500 students and has more then 50 member academic staff.